Friday, July 25, 2008

There Will be Silver

I've told only a few souls of this, but now I'm putting it out there for general knowledge, perhaps in an effort to boast.

It was proposed by one of the crew members of Ella that we construct a time capsule in order to bury what we thought would be a sentimental reminder of this journey. But as time passed over the idea, it formed a new skin of shiny ore. We decided burying sentimental items was not going to be good enough to convince us to return in 10 years and dig it up, so it was agreed that we would each add a small investment toward silver.

The idea sounded a bit ridiculous at first, but then as I mulled over it for some time I found myself getting giddy at the fact that somewhere out on the open waters and sandy shores of the Gulf of Mexico, I will have treasure to return to. It might not be worth much, but the idea isn't to get rich off of this. No. That's what Wall Street is for, if you know how to spin that wheel.

I suppose the appeal behind all of this is that we will actually have something of value, be it sentimental or financial, to claim and only to be found by the five of us. The location has yet to be determined, and unfortunately I will not be disclosing this location to anyone. I'll point to a map and draw an overly sizable circle and say, "It's around this general area."


We will likely use a GPS to track our booty, but in the end I think a true treasure map will have to suffice for this. I tell you this, in hopes you'll understand my interest in this. How many people actually get to dig up buried treasure in there lives? I don't know of any so far, but in 10 years, if I'm fortunate enough to be gracing this fine ball of dust with my presence, I will be certain to describe the feeling one gets upon unearthing a vast quantity of silver, which is to be immediately followed by a hearty belly laugh and a long pull from a bottle of rum. He who dare touch that treasure will have the ghost of my vengeance hot on his trail.

Yo ho.....

No comments: